April 29, 2011

Forbidden Black Rice Pudding

This recipe is ABSOLUTELY delicious. I couldn't stop eating it. I really liked it for breakfast especially. It took me a minute to find black rice in the grocery store; actually, I had to go to Metropolitan Market (any fancy grocery store will do). The brand I bought is "Lundberg Black Japonica" a gourmet field blend of black and mahogany rice. Anyway, black rice is a purplish-black color that is an heirloom variety of rice that was revered in China and is supposedly "forbidden" because it was the Emporer's favorite and everyone else was forbidden to have it. It is also high in iron and bioactive compound anthocyanin.

I used this recipe from whole foods, and it turned out perfectly. It takes about an hour and one big pot and is totally worth the wait!



You need:
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups forbidden black rice
14oz can organic coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar (i used a bit less)






Bring the water and rice to a boil in a covered pot
Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes (until the rice soaks up the water)
Stir in the coconut milk and sugar
Simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes until the fluid is absorbed.

If you serve this dish with some coconut shavings and fresh mango you will be happy forever. Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I want to be happy forever. This looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! How did I miss this post? So excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally tried this! It's delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice informative topic i like it very much i love this post thanks for this. I will tell my all friends such a good site.when you post next article? Gakuran

    ReplyDelete