April 15, 2012

"Know this Chart"

As I draw near to the end of my 9-month dietetic internship in Chicago, things are getting very busy!  I am currently in "staff relief" where I function as a real Registered Dietitian by taking over 2 entire wards (under RD supervision of course).  It is a huge challenge and I feel the weight of responsibility for these patients.  I have a feeling that once this experience is over, I will feel confident about going out on my own for my first real job as a dietitian. 

That being said, we are starting to study for the upcoming national RD exam and had a 2-day test prep this weekend at the hospital.  In the words of our speaker:  "Know this chart" (picture of said chart provided here) and pretty much "Know this entire book"....

In case you don't recognize it, this is the infamous Krebs cycle; aka your metabolism.   When you go to an an RD for your healthcare, you can be sure that they have learned, studied, and passed a test including information on:
  • Food science
  • Nutrient composition of food
  • Education and communication
  • Research
  • Management
  • Nutrition Screening, assessment, and diagnoses
  • Community nutrition
  • Clinical normal nutrition
  • Financial management
  • Marketing and public relations
  • Menu development
  • Sustainability
  • Safety and sanitation
  • Nutrition and support science
  • Equipment and facility planning
I am about to join the ranks of professionals that have passed this test, but not before I spend some serious time reviewing and studying the material.....once again....wish me luck.  

1 comment:

  1. I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!! HANG IN THERE DARLIN'
    COLLEEN

    ReplyDelete