June 1, 2010

Home-made lettuce


We had dinner at my best friend Julia’s parent’s house (the Cook residence) on Sunday night and it was a perfect example of delicious, healthy, whole foods cooking. Having grown up eating at their home, I realize now that I have always taken for granted the love and effort Craig Cook puts into his menus. Five of us sat down Sunday night, wine glasses in hand, to an entrĂ©e of fresh wild salmon grilled simply and sprinkled with fresh herbs and chives. We had mashed potatoes and giant, firm, fragrant asparagus – but one of my favorite parts of the whole meal was the salad. Craig and Kathy grow lettuce in their back yard and it was superb. I don’t often (ever) have access to lettuce this fresh and it was a real treat. Kathy whipped up some quick home-made dressing while we were all chatting that was similar to the one I recently learned to make. It had olive oil, vinegar, and Dijon mustard and was a perfectly light accompaniment to a huge bowl full of delicately moist, forest green lettuce with sliced tomato and cucumber tossed in the mix. Now that I’m focused on eating whole foods, I realize the commitment, effort, and reward of throwing a preservative free dinner party. I thank them for the delicious dinner, great conversation, and inspiration to cook more for my own friends and family!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks G! Such a great night - hopefully all that wine didn't counteract our healthy dinner too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah - its got bioactive compounds that act as anti-inflammatories and promote cardiovascular health! i'll never stop drinking wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I am still in awe of people who have functional, productive gardens...someday!

    ReplyDelete