February 27, 2015

You are Loved...birthdays, eating disorder awareness and spreading joy

This pin was passed out to Chicagoans headed to the blue line train on February 13th this year by some friendly folks. I clipped it on my big puffy jacket and sort of forgot about it but, to my surprise, the response I have been getting ever since is pretty amazing. So many people say "thank you!" or "you made my day!". The person checking me into the recent conference in New York, a clerk at Victoria's Secret, a bus driver....people are so happy. Their faces brighten up and it feels awesome to have done that with a simple button on my coat. A tiny button on my giant coat envokes the biggest smiles I've ever seen.

February 28th marks the end of Eating Disorders Awareness week. Since I work in oncology at an integrative clinic I see more Orthorexia than anything else as my patients  experience a very real and understandable fear of food as they maneuver through a difficult diagnosis and treatment.
I have also come across people with bulimia, anorexia and binge eating disorder as well in my clinical practice. Treating eating disorders is a specialty in nutrition and I often refer out to other dietitians who work with this population more often than I do. One thing is for certain, there are a lot of people out there suffering with eating disorders and disordered eating and though I may not be the right person to help them, I can try my best with the training I've had or support them through referral. The best any of us can do, if we can't actually help, is to let them know that they are loved and that there is help out there for them.

I'm feeling especially loved right now.  It's my birthday and it was been an incredible day. The best thing in the world to me is eating with people I care about. I prefer a lengthy dinner where everyone is laughing the entire time and telling stories. I had a wonderful lunch today with my Block Center coworkers; the highlight of my day. This evening I am drinking Veuve Clicquot Champagne and headed out to some deep dish tonight at my favorite place - Pequods. Yes: dietitians DO eat pizza and they DO drink champagne sometimes. Life is about balance and it's also about loving food - one of the most important things to me. There are so many wonderful things to be happy about in this life; I have a lot of really interesting, stimulating, exciting things coming up and I honestly believe this will be the BEST YEAR EVER!!  Thank you to all of you who continue to read my blog and support me. You are loved!!

No comments:

Post a Comment